Monday, August 27, 2007

Guitar Cab Construction 101

Alright, so I got a good start on the long awaited guitar cabinet this weekend. Saturday morning bright and early before lunch I set out to Lowe's in search of the perfect materials. Well, minus the previously purchased birch plywood. Actually, the materials required are pretty simple:

1/2" Baltic Birch high quality plywood
1"x2" Poplar strips
3/4" MDF - Medium Density Fiberboard
Brad nails for pneumatic nail gun
Elmers wood glue

Step one: Measure twice and cut all needed pieces for assembly (notice pictures).



Step two: Mock assemble cut pieces and visualize further steps.



Step three: Assemble pieces with glue and brad nails (the glue will do most of the holding).



Remaining steps in project:
Step four: Cut holes in baffle for speakers.
Cut for speakon connector mount.

Step five: Paint inside and front baffle.
Paint outside covering.

Step six: Assemble speakers and wiring connections.

Step seven: Rock out with the amp at 11!

So, check back for the rest of the details on the project. Once I locate some missing cables and connectors, I'll get back to finish the cab.

4 comments:

artdirector said...

Bailey, that thing is looking great. I appreciate all your hard work on this thing.

James Miller said...

So, I just noticed that Adam left that comment. Actually, it was me, but he was signed in on my computer.

lusus_vir said...

Forgive me, I know nothing about woodworking/Cab building.

Did you use the Birch covered plywood from the baffle and back panel, and the MDF for the top, bottom, and side panels?

If not, what was your configuration?

Andrew Bailey said...

I used all birch plywood for everything except the baffle. that was done with mdf.